Sunday 15 November 2009

A knitted cat...

I just changed the name of my previous post, having reflected on what I wrote... I think I have always tried to see the sunny side, the silver lining in this particular cloud but I confused even myself with what I wrote about our baby-less life being a blessing. Yes, being with my husband is wonderful, beautiful and delicious but our heart-felt wish and intention is to be parents and we hope that will happen for us soon. I think I might mean that each day hopefully takes us closer to that dream.

We just had two of our dear friends and their one year old daughter come for a leisurely Sunday walk through the autumn leaves and a big bowl of veggie chilli by the fire. We adore their little girl M so much and our friends have asked us to be her guardians - what an incredible blessing! We had a wonderful afternoon - they are very much attachment parents so we are totally singing from the same song sheet and sometimes we get really overexcited talking about 'extended' breastfeeding, bed-sharing, child-led weaning, organic food, home-schooling, Steiner schools and all the other joys of truly connecting with the soul children coming in now. It feels pretty lovely to share such important stuff with friends and warms my heart so much. When I am around friends like this, it feels like it won't be long for us. I'm not sure why but my friend winked at me in a way like she thought so too, so the energy just felt warm and happy.

We went to this second-hand warehouse of goodies yesterday managed and run by homeless people - Emmaus - to get some Christmas pressies. We came across this hand-knitted cat in a Robin Hood outfit complete with feathered hat and boots, made by a homeless woman in a cooperative. I fell in love with its quirkiness so bought it (£2.50!!!! Such incredible love and workmanship went into it but Emmaus always sells things so they're affordable for everyone) ostensibly to give to one of our godchildren. In the car on the way home I said to R that I kind of wanted to keep it for our child and he agreed with me. This is the first time we've ever bought something for our future child and felt a bit mad as if we were pinning our hopes on an unknown future but also really blissful somehow. It made me wonder if other TTC couples buy things for their as-yet-to-be-conceived children or does it just feel too dangerously hopeful? Well, we put the cat between us on the bed last night and when I woke in the night it just filled me with warm feelings imagining it being our child's first toy, already spreading a little love out there to a homeless cooperative....

We've given him a name already too! (the cat, but of course we've got a couple of baby names up our sleeves - who hasn't?)

1 comment:

Kate said...

I love that you showed the universe faith in your future by buying that cat for your child! I think that is wonderful. Such a vote of confidence and intention. How beautiful!

Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog- the internet has been an amazing source of support for me during my falilings. I am so pleased you found me so I could find you as well!
And if I may presume, yes please do think of me at 11:30 my time (I am near boston so right now it is 7:18pm) because I am sure to be freaking the heck out.

best wishes to you on your journey,
Kate